Football: Sunkiss'd division one-Fahidany nets hat-trick as Anse Réunion stretch unbeaten run


Anse Réunion, who started the day in third position with 10 points following three wins and a draw, knew that Sunshine had beaten St Michel in their last match, but they wanted to stretch their unbeaten run to five games.

They controlled proceedings early on, forcing Sunshine, who were without key defender Steven Constance, on the defensive. Their early pressure paid off as they went a goal up in the third minute when prolific scorer Fahidany made the most of a Jocelyn Jaoravoana corner to beat a diving goalie Philip Battin with a low shot for his first goal. 

The match lacked intensity after the first goal but in the 38th minute, Sunshine should have levelled matters, but Robert Suzette shot wide a Nerick Athanase teasing cross.

Five minutes later, Andy Ernesta broke free on the right flank before releasing Roderick Rose who inexplicably chipped the ball over the cross-bar.

On the stroke of half-time, Fahidany, a nightmare for the Sunshine defenders on Saturday, gave Anse Réunion a two-goal cushion after a brilliant individual effort. He received a long pass from midfield, chested down the ball and within a blink of an eye blasted it into the roof of the net, leaving goalie Battin rooted to his spot.

Fahidany (right) netted a hat-trick in Anse Réunion's 4-0 win over Sunshine

Anse Réunion came out roaring in the second period in search of more goals. In the 50th minute, referee Jourdan Benstrong awarded them a penalty after Sunshine's Ronny Rose had wrestled Yelvanny Rose to the ground.

Another Malagasy, Jocelyn, stepped up to take the spot kick, but goalie Battin guessed right, diving to his left to deny him.

Fahidany completed his hat-trick in the 69th minute with a beautiful strike from inside the penalty box from a Roderick Rose assist.

Two minutes later, striker Yelvanny Rose made the most of a goalkeeper Battin error to score in an empty net and give Anse Réunion a much-deserved 4-0 victory.
"I am very happy to have scored a hat-trick today (Saturday). I hope that with more games under my belt, I can prove my true worth with Anse Réunion," said Fahidany after the match.

St Louis edge Light Stars

After a rather indifferent start to the league campaign, St Louis, under the guidance of coach Marc Mathiot, collected a hard-fought 3-2 win – their second of the season – against a determined Light Stars Friday July 17.

The Saints could have won by a much larger margin but poor finishing let them down.
Deadly striker Philip Zialor put St Louis in the lead as early as the seventh minute, making the most of an Alpha Baldé square pass to chip the ball home. The goal is Zialor's fifth in five matches.

Light Stars shocked St Louis with the equaliser in the 40th minute. Patrick Payet outjumped the St Louis defence to head the ball past goalie Dominic Chang-Waye from a Dave Agathine deep cross at the far post.

St Louis pressed harder on the accelerator and were rewarded in the 44th minute through Baldé who slotted the ball past goalie Denis Fideria after having fended off the challenge of a defender.

Referee Gonzague Boniface awarded St Louis a penalty in the 60th minute after Terry Cafrine was brought down inside Light Stars' penalty area by young striker Kevin Prosper. Malagasy defender Ralid took the spot kick to wrong-foot keeper Fideria.

Light Stars' Rwandan midfielder Magnifique Ndikumana reduced the arrears in the 71st  minute with a magnificent free-kick which proved to be too hot for goalie Chang-Waye to handle.

The goal spurred Light Stars, who had lost 1-7 to La Passe in their last match on La Digue, to go looking for the equaliser.

Their best chance to salvage a point fell to substitute Roy Bill in the 83rd minute. Magnifique's curved free-kick was fumbled by goalie Chang-Waye and Bill pounced on the loose ball only to blaze it over the cross-bar.

C. J.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *