Football: Barclays league division one-St Louis Suns and La Passe draw, Anse Reunion resurrect season, Foresters win at last


On Friday, Foresters claimed their first league victory this season on a 1-0 score against Northern Dynamo.

La Passe and St Louis Suns draw

This encounter needed an experienced referee as there were crucial decisions that affected the result.

As for the match, it was a case of two different styles as St Louis Suns were playing fantasy football with too many passes with no end product, while La Passe were more realist and serious in their approach as they re-adjusted tactically to deny their opponents.

La Passe pushed Malagasy Bruno Saindini in central defence with Verna Rose suspended with two yellow cards. Malagasy Eric Rajaobery played in midfield, while Achille Henriette was given the armband against his former club.

La Passe relied on counter attacks and in the ninth minute, Malagasy Asman Abdou centred to Rick Bibi who had sneaked in at the near post but he failed to find the target.

Two minutes later, Wilnes Brutus produced a great bit of skill as he hit a volley on the turn from a Ted Radegonde throw-in, which almost squeezed past goalie Vincent Euphrasie at the near post.

In the 12th minute, St Louis Suns failed to clear their lines as the ball fell to captain Henriette who shot across the face of goal.

St Louis Suns opened the scoring in the 21st minute as Trevor Poiret picked out Brutus, who beat the La Passe offside trap with Saindini playing him on-side. Brutus raced in the penalty box and unselfishly set up Yannick Charlette at the far post and he easily tapped in for a 1-0 score.

However, their advantage lasted only seven minutes as La Passe equalised with a superb goal by Saindini, who revived memories of his heydays in the ‘90s.

It all started from a needless free-kick conceded by Denis Barbé on Rajaobery from 30 metres out. Rajaobery rolled the ball to Saindini and he thumped a sweet left foot strike which crashed into the roof of the net past goalie Eugene Valentin for a 1-l score.

Despite the beauty of the goal, referee Bernard Camille failed to penalise an infringement in the wall as Henry Ladouce held back Jonathan Bibi, who was racing put to block Saindini’s strike.

On the half hour mark, St Louis Suns put a string of passes together to release Malagasy Jean Del’Or Tsaralaza, who threaded a pass to Charlette but he shot weakly at Euphrasie.

Two minutes later, Abdou broke clear to release Rick Bibi, who should have squared to two teammates but he went for glory and hit the side-netting.

In the 43rd minute, St Louis Suns almost regained the lead as Brutus linked up with Poiret who bore on goal. Euphrasie and Rajaobery collided as they tried to stop him and surprised by this opportunity, the St Louis Suns player volleyed the loose ball, but Saindini was there to clear the danger on the goal-line.

Deep in the first half injury time, La Passe countered as Rick Bibi exploited space to centre to Abdou who went down under Jude Nancy’s challenge.  However, referee Camille did not award a penalty – a decision which infuriated the La Passe camp, while the St Louis Suns players thought that the Malagasy had taken a dive and should have been booked for simulation.

In the 57th minute, Abdou pounced on a defensive mistake by Jonathan Bibi to release Henriette, whose cross was parried by Valentin to substitute Ron Ladouce who shot wide a great chance.

St Louis Suns though had plenty of possession as La Passe packed their defence, but they over-indulged in passing allowing the La Digue-based team to close them down.

In a rare opportunity for St Louis Suns in the 75th minute, substitute Eddie Bistoé volleyed a loose ball over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, Saindini went agonisingly close to give his team the lead as Ron Ladouce rolled the ball into his path and his fierce strike was pushed out by Valentin.

In the dying seconds, La Passe almost stole the points as their hard-working defence played a long ball forward. St Louis Suns captain Jimmy Radafison should have cut out the danger but instead allowed Henriette to win the ball and set up Abdou, whose shot was turned into corner by Valentin.

Henriette floated the corner to Pierre Fanchette, who rose unmarked but could not direct his header on target.

At the end of the match, St Louis Suns Malagasy coach Henri Rakotomavo was surprisingly happy with his team’s performance as he felt they are beginning to gel and will need a few more matches to be at their best.

Foresters win at last

Foresters were the only team without a victory in the league before the weekend’ matches and they must have fancied their chances against newly promoted Northern Dynamo, who had been thrashed 7-0 in their previous game.

However, the match did not start well for Foresters who saw their key player Jason Denise suffer a shoulder injury in the 21st minute as he bore on goal and was stopped by a strong Ronny Hoareau tackle and goalie Jules Monnaie.  Denise had to be replaced by Roddy Antat.

On the half hour mark, Dynamo threatened as Evans Télémaque picked out Hoareau with a free-kick but the defender could not direct his header on target.

Dynamo again went close in the 42nd minute as Télémaque centred to Malagasy Asman Todisa, who headed wide with the goal gaping.

Two minutes later, Foresters were denied what appeared to be a good goal as Steven Jean floated a corner and there was Ian Mellie, who scored with a diving header. But referee Julien Sanders was unsure as Dynamo claimed for a foul on goalie Monnaie by a Foresters player. After much hesitation, the referee disallowed the goal.

The second half was a more fiercely contested affair as both teams went all out for victory.

In the 59th minute, Dynamo’s Damien Tamboo saw his curling shot come off a post with goalie Joel Jean well beaten.

Two minutes later, Foresters went ahead as Mellie found space on the right to fire past Monnaie for a 1-0 lead.

In the 72nd minute, Foresters’ substitute Steve Mathiot broke clear and Monnaie had to dive at his feet and he injured himself in the process. He was substituted.

Foresters were quite dangerous on the counter and in the 78th minute, Mellie fed captain Aaron Jean, whose shot crashed against the crossbar.

In the 85th minute, Mathiot and Jean combined but the latter shot over the crossbar when he should have hit the target.

Deep in injury time, Foresters were denied a strong penalty claim as Mathiot was brought down by Hoareau, but referee Sanders was not convinced.

Anse Reunion bring LightStars down to earth

Anse Reunion rediscovered their winning ways following a bad patch of results during which they lost four matches.

Winners of only their first league game, Anse Reunion were at home and they stunned high-flying visitors LightStars 2-0.

After a goalless first half, Yelvanny Rose gave the home team the lead in the second and Malagasy Jocelyn made sure of the win with a late strike.

R. J-L.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *