Football: Airtel Cup-Early goals see off Foresters, Anse Reunion and SMB draw, La Passe edge LightStars


St Michel strike early

St Michel fielded a mixed team of youth and experienced campaigners for their match with Foresters. The boys of coach Ralph Jean-Louis were quick off the blocks as Malagasy Pascal fired past goalie Joel Jean in the second minute (1-0). Six minutes later, Leeroy Corallie added a second goal (2-0).

Many feared Foresters were in for a hiding, but they managed to steady the ship and had chances of their own. In the 18th minute, captain Aaron Jean raced clear on the left to centre to Ian Mellie, who failed to trouble St Michel’s third goalkeeper Jerome Dingwall.

Ten minutes later, St Michel’s Bernard St Ange tested Jean with a curling free kick which he pushed out. St Ange latched onto a quickly taken free kick in the 40th minute but he shot wide.

On the stroke of half-time, St Michel’s Yves Zialor, who was making a rare start, pounced on a cross on the edge of the penalty area, but he miscued his shot.

Foresters threatened to reduce the deficit in the 46th minute as Mellie broke free but Dingwall was quick off his line to clear the danger.

The spectators waited until the 81st minute to see another good action when substitute Alfredo Manou released Samuel Henriette, who shot in the side-netting.

Three minutes later, Mellie should have reduced the deficit but his near post shot was saved by Dingwall.

SMB and Anse Reunion share six goals

Anse Reunion got off to a good start as Julius Adrienne beat goalie Peter Toule for a 1-0 20th minute lead.

Three minutes later, on a counter-attack, Malagasy Milison Niasere fed Yelvanny Rose, who controlled the ball and lobbed Toule (2-0).

SMB had to respond and in the 28th minute, Andy Samedi centred to Gerald Basset but he failed to connect. Just past the half-hour mark, Basset was guilty of another bad miss as Kevin Quatre played a superb ball over the defence to his feet.

In the 35th minute, Anse Reunion should have increased their lead as Adrienne sprung SMB’s offside trap to cut the ball back to Milison, who shot across the face of goal.

SMB made them pay for their miss as they reduced the arrears three minutes later from Marty Fanny’s shot which goalie Evans Ernesta blocked.

Samedi pounced on the loose ball to score despite the Anse Reunion goalie’s double save (2-1).

On the stroke of half-time, SMB equalised. Yannick Julie’s strong header from Basset’s inch-perfect cross found refuge at the back of the net (2-2).

SMB almost took the lead in the 50th minute from Basset’s powerful shot, but Ernesta was equal to the task.

Seven minutes later, both teams were reduced to 10 men as referee Bernard Camille sent off Adrienne and SMB’s Serge Asba, who had just come on, for fighting.

On the hour mark, Anse Reunion regained the lead as Rose threaded a pass to Milison, who rounded Toule to shoot into an empty net (3-2).

In the 68th minute, SMB countered as Julie combined with Samedi, who brought a good save out of Ernesta.

In the 76th minute, Milison set up Rose with a great pass and he looked odds on to score, but somehow he shot wide.

Once gain, they were punished on the counter as Fanny linked up with Collin Laporte, who slotted the ball past Ernesta (3-3).

SMB nearly stole all the points in the 78th minute as Samedi, looking suspiciously offside, raced clear but he failed to hit the target.

La Passe add to LightStars’ woes

La Passe maintained their unbeaten record with a 1-0 win over visitors LightStars on La Digue on Saturday.

Pierre Fanchette scored the only goal of the match with 15 minutes left to play to inflict a second defeat on Praslin-based LightStars in the Airtel Cup.

R. J-L.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *