Football: Airtel Cup-St Michel crush SMB, St Louis Suns upset La Passe


With the completion of the group stage, St Louis Suns will now face Anse Reunion in the semis, while La Passe will meet St Michel.

St Michel v SMB

St Michel had already won their group, while SMB had to beat them by a large score if they were to have any hope of qualifying for the semifinals.

This was surely a tall order, let alone defeat the only unbeaten team in the league and cup competition.
In fact, St Michel opened the floodgates in the 15th minute as Don Anacoura fired past SMB’s goalie Trevor Bill. Two minutes later, Philip Zialor doubled his team’s lead to make it 2-0.

Zialor increased St Michel’s advantage in the 40th minute as he latched onto Malagasy Nestor Benahovy’s through ball to shoot past Bill for a 3-0 score.

St Michel were the dominant team as SMB’s defence struggled to cope and it was no surprise when Benahovy broke forward to pick up Nigel Freminot’s long pass, which beat SMB’s offside trap. He rounded Bill to make it 4-0 at half-time.

St Michel played with an all-Seychellois line-up in the second half as they rested some of their players in view of the semis next weekend. In the 61st minute, Zialor saw his well-worked free-kick tipped over by Bill and minutes later (66th) the SMB goalie raced out to stop Leeroy Corallie in his stride.

SMB too had a couple of chances, especially in the 70th minute when substitute Evans Samedi broke clear, but his shot was charged down by goalie Gino Melanie.

In the 78th minute, St Michel went further ahead as substitute Yves Zialor’s cross was not cleared by David Dorby allowing Henny Dufresne to volley past Bill for a 5-0 score.

St Michel put the icing on the cake in injury time as Zialor played a glorious first time pass to substitute Francis Nourrice, who burst through to glide past Bill and slide the ball into an empty net for a 6-0 score-line.
St Michel have now scored a massive 14 goals against SMB in two Airtel Cup matches.

La Passe v St Louis Suns

This was an important match although the two teams had already qualified for the last-four stage. They were battling for top spot in their group to avoid a tricky semifinal clash with St Michel.

St Louis Suns took a decisive step towards victory as Yannick Charlette scored twice early in the first half. Andy Mougal stretched the lead to 3-0 before Fabien Cadeau added a fourth for a comfortable half-time lead.

However, La Passe fought back in the second period as Malagasy Bruno Saindini beat goalie Eugene Valentin with a free-kick (1-4). Asman Abdou reduced the deficit to 2-4 minutes later.

Wilnes Brutus assured St Louis Suns victory with a strike to make it 5-2.
La Passe were later awarded a penalty, which Abdou took but Valentin pushed out the shot only for Stephen Gomme to tuck home the loose ball for a 5-3 score in favour of St Louis Suns.

Anse Reunion v Foresters

Anse Reunion defeated Foresters 3-2 on Wednesday at Stad Linite.
Malagasy Milison Niasere, Yelvany Rose and Roderick Rose scored the all-important goals to guarantee their team qualification to the next round while Dave Max’s brace was not enough to save his team from defeat.

Northern Dynamo v LightStars

Northern Dynamo added to Praslin-based LightStars miserable run in the Airtel Cup with a 2-0 victory on Thursday.
Dynamo opened the scoring through captain Asman Todisoa in the second half and Luc Racombo made it 2-0.

LightStars should have reduced the deficit in the dying seconds through Malagasy Patrick Ramsamimanana, but he inexplicably shot wide with only goalie Jules Monnaie to beat.

R. J-L.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *