UNWTO chief, foreign press to grace Seychelles’ carnival


27-January-2012

Seychelles Tourism Board (STB) chief executive Alain St Ange released these informationMr St Ange speaking at the ceremony yesterday yesterday during a colourful ceremony to start a 36-day countdown leading to the March 2-4  Carnaval International de Victoria.

Mr St Ange confirmed that over 50 press members from magazines, newspapers, radio and television stations will be in Victoria to cover the event and for the first time three radio stations from Europe, the Middle East and South Africa will broadcast the three-day event live from Seychelles.

Mr St Ange said altogether some 78 individual press personalities and technicians will be in Seychelles for this important event.

Noting that many people may be asking why the STB is going all this length to bring foreign journalists here, Mr St Ange said everyone involved in the tourism industry, who understands how the industry operates, would welcome and appreciate the attention and publicity Seychelles and the tourism industry will get.

“A lot of press attention will mean a blitz on and about Seychelles in the four corners of the world,” Mr St Ange explained.

“The STB has been mandated to promote Seychelles as a tourism destination and increasing the visibility of our islands through the international press. We are doing just that through our culture, our people’s way of life and our joie de vivre,” he said.

During the ceremony held at the International Conference Centre, a new theme song for this year’s second carnival was launched.

Jean-Marc Volcy and fellow artists performing the carnival theme song at yesterday’s ceremony

The song by Jean-Marc Volcy and four supporting artists – Jany De Létourdie, Michelle Marengo, Antoinette Dodin and Brian Matombé – is entitled Sa Carnaval. It was through a beautifully choreographed display by colourfully dressed dancers that the artists performed the song to loud applause.

Among the guests for the event were high government, tourism and trade sectors officials.
The organisers have revealed a list of over 20 countries that have already confirmed they are taking part in the carnival.
Brazil, the Noting Hill from London, the Dusseldorf Carnival from Germany, Reunion, which is co-hosting the event with Seychelles, South Africa and Mauritius will have bigger delegations.

Mr St Ange also said representatives of several other countries will be here to experience the event before joining next year.

Also during the ceremony yesterday afternoon, a carnival lottery was launched. Tickets, costing R10 apiece, went on sale right after the ceremony. Interesting prizes to be won include a car, cash prizes and return tickets sponsored by Emirates Airline, Qatar Airways and Etihad Airways.

Carnival souvenirs are also ready and will be on sale at the tourist information office at Independence House every day.
Mr St Ange thanked the team at the STB for their patience and hard work in collaborating with foreign partners to bring overseas delegations here.

A special thank you went to all the sponsors without whose help Mr St Ange said “the carnival would not have been possible on this magnitude.”

He acknowledged Emirates Airlines which is this year the partner airline and flying the biggest number of international press to Seychelles and Kempinski Hotel which has volunteered to accommodate the press.

Mr St Ange has called on the Mayor’s office, the Public Utilities Corporation, the business community around Victoria to help decorate the capital for the event and all Seychellois to rally like last year to make the event a success.
“After all it is our carnival,” said Mr St Ange.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *