Football: Barclays league division one -St Michel sweep aside St Francis


It was a match which saw St Francis’ Ryan Antat shown a straight red card in the 90th minute for dissent towards referee Emile Fred who had a poor game in a very physical encounter.

Things could have been much different for the Baie Lazare team if they had shocked St Michel in the first minute as Radley Monthy floated a free kick to the burly Ryan Antat whose goalbound header was cleared on the goalline by defender Lorenzo Mathiot.

St Michel were then gifted a goal from a horrendous mistake by goalkeeper Andrea Libanotis who had rushed out to collect a long ball.  But the St Francis goalkeeper tried to be clever as he attempted to play the ball over Leeroy Corallie who pounced on the ball to embarrass him as he lobbed him to give his team a 1-0 lead.

St Francis had barely recovered from this setback when St Michel moved up a gear as they passed the ball around and Allen Larue released his captain Don Anacoura whose deep cross fell to Malagasy Jean Delor Tsaralaza.  Tsaralaza rolled the ball into the penalty area to Nelson Laurence whose low shot came off the post to captain Anacoura who tucked home the rebound to make it 2-0.

In the 8th minute, St Francis should have cut the deficit as Roddy Monthy got the better of Nigel Freminot in a tussle as the St Michel defender went to the ground.  Monthy fed Stephane Barallon whose curler sailed agonisingly wide of goalkeeper Nelson Sopha’s far post.

Five minutes later at the other end, Laurence threaded a pass to Delor whose shot hit the side netting when it looked easier to score.

Delor though had to be replaced in the 20th minute after being the victim of a heavy tackle and Andy Mougal came on.

St Michel suffered another loss when Lorenzo Mathiot also went down after a crunching tackle which went unpunished by a struggling referee Emile Fred and it was Samuel Henriette who took his place.

However St Michel still bid their time to score a third in the 28th minute from a glorious cross field pass by Laurence to Alex Nibourette which goalkeeper Libanotis raced out to cut out but surprisingly allowed the St Michel midfielder to steer the ball into the net for a 3-0 lead.

St Francis had another decent chance to reduce the arrears in the 41st minute from a superb through pass by Trevor Vidot to Evans Confiance but he hurried his shot when he could have set up two of his teammates who were in a better scoring position.

On the stroke of half time, St Michel had to make another substitution as Corallie had a muscle pull and he limped off to be replaced by Wilnes Brutus in the second period.

St Michel pressed St Francis high up the pitch in the second half and captain Anacoura showed great skills to fire at goal in the 47th minute but his shot crashed in the side netting after some neat build up.

St Francis had brought on reserve goalkeeper Bertrand Morel in place of Libanotis in the second half and he showed good reflex to deny Mougal in the 50th minute.

Seconds later, St Michel were denied a clear penalty when Nibourette’s legs was hooked by Harry Libanotis as he prepared to rifle at goal but referee Emile was not convinced.

St Michel extended their advantage in the 52nd minute from a fantastic thunderbolt by Malagasy Jimmy Radafison which crashed into the roof of the net for a 4-0 lead.

Barely a minute later Radafison was at it again as he picked up a throw in on the left and let fly a cracking shot which flew past goalkeeper Morel into the far corner to make it 5-0.

In the 58th minute though, St Francis cut St Michel’s lead as Nigel Freminot’s back header was latched onto by Ryan Antat who punished goalkeeper Sopha and his defender for a 1-5 score.

It was only a minor reprieve though as Anacoura missed a sitter in the 64th minute from Allen Larue’s inch perfect pass but goalie Morel pushed his point blank header onto the cross bar.

In the 66th minute, St Francis saw their midfielder Trevor Vidot collapse to the ground in pain.  He was soon stretched off but remained in the stadium for sometime as there was a debate on whose responsibility it is to carry injured players to hospital and some football officials sadly did not even bother to try and assist which raised a lot of questions about their responsibilities especially as federation members.

Vidot was finally transported to hospital in a pick-up truck by St Francis officials as he appeared to have suffered a hip injury.

On the pitch, St Michel extended their lead in the 70th minute as Mougal exploited space on the right to drill his shot low past goalie Morel who got a touch but could not stop it finding refuge in the net for a 6-1 scoreline.

In the 83rd minute, St Michel were awarded an indirect free kick after goalie Morel had held the ball for too long when he should have kicked it out of play to get his teammate to tie his shoe lace.

Captain Anacoura played the free kick to Brutus whose fierce shot came off the upright as St Francis rode their luck.

On the stroke of full time, St Francis were denied a blatant penalty when Samuel Henriette brought down Ryan Antat. 

Amazingly referee Fred gave the decision in favour of the St Michel right back much to the disgust of Antat who had a go at the official who showed him a straight red, a decision which really infuriated the St Francis supporters.

St Francis still had a gilt edge opportunity to score a second as Stephane Barallon made the most of a poor clearance by Henny Dufresne in added time.  Barallon though failed to hit the target and his team was punished as St Michel swept forward with speed and Nibourette picked out Brutus who rammed the ball home which went in under goalkeeper Morel’s desperate dive for a 7-1 thrashing.

St Francis coach Marc Mathiot was disappointed with some of his players who he felt had gifted St Michel some easy goals in the first half which helped the Anse Aux Pins-based side tighten their grip on the match.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *