Football: Airtel Cup-St Louis Suns lose again, St Michel, Côte D’Or and LightStars win


Dynamo v/s St Louis Suns
The last time these two teams met in the league, St Louis Suns came from two goals down to draw 2-2.  But this time round, Dynamo held on to their lead in an action-packed match with its fair share of controversy.

Dynamo showed more purpose early on and in the third minute, Malagasy Asman Todisoa pounced on a loose ball from a mêlée but his goalbound shot was charged down by the St Louis Suns defenders.

Actions during the Northern Dynamo and St Louis Suns match

St Louis Suns responded in the sixth minute as Fabien Cadeau played a glorious pass to captain Trevor Poiret who controlled the ball to elude a defender, but his left foot shot was saved by goalkeeper Jules Monnaie.

St Louis Suns should have been awarded a clear penalty in the 15th minute by referee Kierens Yocette who surprisingly had Eddie Maillet as his assistant.  It all started from a long ball which Dynamo defender Ronny Hoareau seemed to have it covered but Kelly Nibourette out-sprinted him and he was brought down from behind by the same defender but the officials did not signal nor blow for a spot kick.

In the 24th minute, Dynamo were awarded a free kick on St Louis Suns’ penalty area which captain Evans Telemaque played to Francis Moumou whose low drive was spilled by goalie Elvis Leopold.

But the St Louis Suns goalkeeper redeemed himself as he made a point-blank block on Todisoa who had latched onto the loose ball with St Louis Suns defence slow to react.

St Louis Suns were aggrieved with the official in the 27th minute when Steve Henriette clearly elbowed Jonathan Bibi in the face in an off-the-ball incident.  The St Louis Suns defender went to the ground and had to receive treatment.  But referee Yocette did not even consult his two assistants but only had a word with the Dynamo defender who should have been sent off though the official did not see the incident.

In the 35th minute, Todisoa almost punished some sloppy St Louis Suns defending and it required a last ditch tackle by his former teammate Damien Tamboo to dispossess him.

In the 40th minute, the official blew for the end of the match as his watch let him down.  But after his assistant brought to his attention the error, he called back the players to complete this half.

In the 43rd minute, the match almost got out of hand as Marcus Maria and Marlon Asba had a go at each other but the official managed to calm down the situation.

In the second half, Elderick Adelaide took over from Eddie Maillet and the tension intensified on both teams as they went all out for victory.

In the 54th minute, Roddy Melanie floated a corner to Fabien Cadeau whose powerful header was cleared on the goalline by Jude Botsoie.

At the other end in the 57th minute, St Louis Suns goalkeeper Elvis Leopold was lucky not to concede a penalty as he held back captain Telemaque who had got the better of him but the official allowed play to go on.

St Louis Suns almost broke the deadlock in the 58th minute as Cadeau released Melanie whose strong shot crashed against the post.

Dynamo though opened the scoring in the 68th minute as Todisoa made the most of a bad error by Tamboo who allowed the ball to sail over his head.

Todisoa bore on goal and goalkeeper Leopold stupidly made life easy for him as he raced out and the Malagsy just slid the ball through his legs for a 1-0 lead.

In the 72nd minute, Dynamo stretched their advantage as Marcus Maria went down in Jean-Paul Aglae’s outstretched leg to concede a penalty which was awarded by referee Kierens Yocette who was spot on.

Henriette, who was lucky to still be on the pitch, stepped up to send goalkeeper Leopold the wrong way with a fierce low shot to make it 2-0.

In the 84th minute, Dynamo threatened to score as Maria nutmegged Aglae to lay the ball to substitute Valerio Derothe who brought a good save out of goalie Leopold.

Four minutes later, Derothe was again denied by goalkeeper Leopold after he was set up by substitute Elvis Julius with a hooked pass.

But Dynamo had done enough to win their first match in Pool B whilst St Louis Suns suffered their second defeat in as many matches in this group.
Anse Reunion lose to Côte D’Or

Côte D’Or avenged their league defeat to Anse Reunion on La Digue with a narrow 2-1 win.
Romeo Radegonde scored in his own goal to give Côte D’Or a 1-0 lead before Dine Suzette made it 2-0 before half time.
Yelvanny Rose reduced the arrears to 2-1 in the second half but it was not enough to stop his team losing at home.

LightStars defeat Quincy

LightStars continued their recent revival as they defeated Quincy 4-1 on Praslin.
Mario Ravo gave his team Lightstars the perfect start as he made it 1-0 and Bertrand Lablache added a second for a 2-0 lead at half time.

Kevin Prosper extended LightStars’ lead to 3-0 before Lablache completed his brace with a 4-0 score.

Charles De Clarisse scored a consolation goal as LightStars ran out comfortable winners with a 4-1 scoreline.

St Michel thrash St Francis

St Michel started the defence of their Airtel cup title with a convincing 5-1 victory at Stad Linite on Friday evening.

St Michel always had the measure of St Francis who struggled to find their rhythm with their defence which was out of sorts in the first half especially.

St Michel opened the floodgates in the 15th minute after a good build up and Nelson Laurence beat goalkeeper Andrea Libanotis with a beautiful low shot from just outside the penalty area to make it 1-0.

Six minutes later captain Don Anacoura extended his team’s lead after some wayward defending by St Francis allowing him all the space to control a long pass from young defender Gino Agathine and fire past goalie Libanotis for a 2-0 score.

In the 28th minute, Marcus Labiche put the finishing touch to some neat work by Wilnes Brutus who went past a defender to set him up for a 3-0 scoreline.

Brutus was gifted a goal in the 37th minute as goalkeeper Libanotis failed to hold on to the ball which he spilled to the St Michel striker who punished him to make it 4-0.

St Michel went further ahead in the 40th minute as Malagasy Jean Delor Tsaralaza who had a good game on Friday, skipped past a couple of defenders on the left to pick out his captain Don Anacoura who easily scored his brace and put his team 5-0 up at half time.

St Michel slackened in the second half knowing that all the hard work had been done earlier but Allen Larue went close with a driving shot which crashed against the post in the 56th minute.

In the 68th minute, St Francis were awarded a non-existent penalty by referee Alistair Barra after Radley Monthy went down in the penalty area after colliding into goalie Nelson Sopha’s body who had grabbed the ball in a one on one situation. 

Ryan Antat stepped up to shoot past goalkeeper Sopha for a 1-5 scoreline.
Six minutes later Antat latched onto a poor back pass by Julio Denousse but he amazingly shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

St Michel though almost scored again in the 85th minute when Malagasy Jimmy Radafison pour forward to unleash a fierce shot which goalkeeper Libanotis did well to parry.
St Michel though won easily in the end as they go top of their Pool A group.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *