Football: Second and third division cup finals-The Lions, Plaisance champions


Au Cap’s David Farabeau scored an own goal to give The Lions the win.
The Lions coach Gavin Jean is satisfied with his team’s performance this season and said his team will be going to the Barclays league division one next year to rival with the best.

“We have to recruit some players to bolster our team as we want to rival with the best in the top league. We don’t just want to be promoted and be happy to be playing first division football.

 This is not our objective. We want to be competitive,” said Jeanne.
Meanwhile, on Wednesday, Plaisance defeated Bel Air 4-2 at Stad Linite to claim the third division cup.

It was a bright ending for Plaisance who had struggled in the league this season but on Wednesday they showed more determination to triumph.
James Emile had given Plaisance the perfect platform as he scored in the seventh minute to make it 1-0.

Bel Air threatened in the 12th minute as Michel Labiche released Clency Leon but he was too slow allowing goalkeeper Randolph Didon to cut out the danger.

In the 29th minute, Bel Air again went close as Leon set up Joel Moustache whose shot was charged down into corner. Bel Air levelled the score from the resulting corner floated by Leon and the ball fell invitingly to Labiche who scored via the post.

The central Mahe team though shot themselves in the foot in the 33rd minute as Kevin Barreau’s poor back pass was latched upon by Julio Victor who bore on goal and his shot crept over the goal-line despite goalkeeper Nichol Rath getting a touch to restore Plaisance’s lead at 2-1.

Plaisance also gifted Bel Air a soft goal in the 42nd minute as captain Nelson Emile played a back header to his goalie Didon. The ball though bounced off Didon’s shoulder and dropped to the lurking Moustache who punished him as he headed into the net for a 2-2 score.

Plaisance regained the lead from substitute Jonathan Zaphet’s cross which was not cleared and Andy Gomme showed good composure when he shot past goalkeeper Rath for a 3-2 score.

Bel Air kept battling to restore parity and in the 72nd minute, Dufresne tested goalkeeper Didon who just managed to turn the low shot into corner.

Plaisance though sealed Bel Air’s fate in the 75th minute as Gomme’s shot came off a defender’s hand and referee Alix Bonne pointed to the spot for a penalty. Captain Nelson Emile stepped up to coolly slot the ball past goalkeeper Rath to make it 4-2.

In the 87th minute Bel Air should have reduced the arrears after some good approach play involving Leon and Dufresne but the former shot narrowly wide.

Seychelles Football Federation secretary general Jemmy Adela presented the cup to Plaisance captain Nelson Emile at the end of the match.

R. J-L.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *