‘Sexual assault a disgraceful and horrifying human rights violation’


25-February-2013

The ministry was reacting to news that a 20-year-old woman had been sexually assaulted by five men.

In a press communiqué, the ministry said that it categorically condemns sexual and gender-based violence in the strongest terms.

“The alleged sexual assault of a 20-year-old woman by five men aged 21-25 years, which occurred on Wednesday February 20, 2013, is a disgraceful and horrifying human rights violation,” said the communiqué.

It added that the government recognises these crimes at the highest level of severity, and promotes a zero tolerance of gender-based violence in every instance, without any excuse of any kind.
 
“We need a change of mindset that accepts this kind of brutal abuse and change the social norms that allow this behaviour, to promote respect and dignity of the human being.

“Seychelles is party to several human rights treaties that bind the government to protect women and girls from all forms of violence and ensure justice for survivors,” added the communiqué.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *