Football: Barclays league division one-Côte d’Or clinch last-gasp win


It was just a sensational way to win a match as it was virtually the last kick of the game, giving Côte d’Or their third such victory in the league after edging St Francis and Anse Reunion in similar fashion to illustrate the never-say-die attitude of this Praslin outfit.

Côte d’Or, buoyant after topping their group in the l’UFFOI tournament, started brightly as they carried the game to Dynamo who packed their defence.

In the 14th minute, Côte d’Or’s Gerald Basset sent in a teasing cross which Marcus Labiche missed but it dropped to Malagasy Patrick Ramsamimanana who cut inside before unleashing a shot which sailed inches over the crossbar.

Dynamo’s first real opportunity came in the 28th minute as Malagasy Asman Todisoa threaded a pass to Marcus Maria who made space to fire at goalkeeper Kitson Cecile but he missed the target.

The only noteworthy opportunity in this half came in the 42nd minute and again Basset was the creator as his deep cross was met by a spectacular shot by Malagasy Patrick. But Dynamo’s Marty Fanny had tracked him back to divert his shot into corner.

Both teams showed more purpose in the second period and it was the Airtel Cup holders who got a breakthrough in the 54th minute as Labiche robbed Terence Antat of possession.  Labiche showed persistence as he eluded two more defenders with his speed and he intelligently floated the ball with a delicate chip over the advancing goalkeeper and captain Jules Monnaie for a 1-0 lead.

The goal forced Dynamo out of their shell, but they were almost caught out on a counter on the hour mark. It all started from Renick Esther’s crossfield pass which fell to Basset whose instinctive volley was parried by goalkeeper Monnaie.

Dynamo began to threaten at the other end and in the 74th minute substitute Evans Télémaque went on a mazy run on the right before setting up Maria, but his shot lacked sting to trouble goalkeeper Cecile.

A minute later, Maria filtered a pass to Todisoa but he also shot tamely at the Côte d’Or goalkeeper.
Dynamo’s Todisoa wasted a glorious opportunity in the 86th minute as Damien Tamboo surged forward past a couple of tackles to feed him.  But Todisoa made a meal of his shot in a clear scoring position.

Two minutes later, Côte d’Or’s substitute Collin Esther jinked his way on the edge of the penalty area and let fly a cracker which sailed narrowly wide.

Referee Alistair Barra awarded five minutes of added time and Dynamo scored in the 92nd minute.  After Côte d’Or captain Jones Joubert’s last ditch tackle denied Maria a leveler, the same Maria took the resulting corner kick. His curling corner was inadvertently headed past goalkeeper Cecile by captain Joubert for an own goal to equalise at 1-1.

As the match was heading for a share of the spoils, Côte d’Or scored in the dying seconds as Malagasy Mazinot Valentin played a throw-in to his colleague Jean Tigana. The 2012 footballer of the year linked up with substitute Dine Suzette who turned and his dipping shot sailed over goalkeeper Monnaie and found refuge in the far corner for a brilliant goal to make it 2-1.

This goal brought wild celebrations from the Côte d’Or supporters and more followed at the final whistle.

Coach of the year Ahmed Abdou told Sports Nation his team almost dropped two vital points due to over-confidence after opening the score. But coach Abdou noted that his team played a good match and that Dynamo proved a tough nut to crack and was just happy they registered a third win in their quest to challenge the league title.

R. J-L.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *