Football: Barclays league division one-St Michel, St Louis Suns draw, La Passe and Côte d’Or win


On the same day on Praslin, Côte d’Or triumphed 5-2 in the Praslin derby against LightStars, and on Friday St Louis Suns and The Lions shared the spoils in a goalless draw.

Anse Reunion hold St Michel

La Digue side Anse Reunion shared the points with St Michel in a 1-1 draw at Stad Linite on Saturday.
Anse Reunion must be pleased with the point especially after their embarrassing defeat the previous weekend.
On Saturday, Anse Reunion showed their true quality especially in the first half and almost took a stunning lead with only 44 seconds on the clock as Malagasy Hugo Sezou set up Yelvanny Rose but he shot wide.

In the seventh minute, Anse Reunion again threatened as Roderick Rose’s corner was met by Evans Elizabeth’s header which flashed across goal.

Two minutes later, Anse Reunion went ahead as former St Louis Suns midfielder, Malagasy Gilles Rapiera, collected a loose ball and from 30 metres, he thumped the ball at goalkeeper Gino Melanie but the ball took an awkward bounce to sail over the St Michel custodian’s desperate dive for a 1-0 lead to Anse Reunion.

It was no more than they deserved as St Michel looked out of sorts and could not find a rhythm to their play.
In the 11th minute, Yannick Manoo and goalkeeper Melanie were hesitant to clear a loose ball and the lurking Roderick Rose almost sneaked in between them to add a second if not for a last-ditch intervention by Melanie.

Nine minutes later, the St Michel custodian saved well a half-volley by Yelvanny Rose from Roderick Rose’s centre.
St Michel were gifted a chance to level matters in the 24th minute as Leeroy Corallie chased a long ball and Anse Reunion captain, Malagasy Eddy’s mis-timed tackle sent the St Michel striker sprawling to the ground. Referee Kieren Yocette quite rightly pointed to the penalty spot.

Strangely Corallie was assigned the penalty kick he had won and lacking in confidence, his poorly hit spot-kick was pushed out by Ricky Rose as Anse Reunion maintained their lead at half-time.
Corallie was eventually substituted at half-time with Andy Mougal coming on to try and revive a St Michel side who looked impotent and short of ideas in the first.

However, after coach Ralph Jean-Louis’ team talk they improved in the second period and in the 51st minute Malagasy Jean Del’Or Tsaralaza picked out Mougal whose glancing header was easily saved by goalkeeper Rose.

St Michel equalised in the 66th minute and Anse Reunion had only themselves to blame as they were down to 10 men with Jonathan Ladouce out with cramp and they delayed to make a substitution.

The goal also stemmed from a corner needlessly conceded by Evans Elizabeth. Gervais Waye-Hive floated the ball into the penalty area where Del’Or rose unchallenged to head into the net to make it 1-1 much to the relief of the home supporters.

The goal spurred St Michel on while Anse Reunion seemed to run out of steam as they gave the ball away cheaply.

In the 71st minute, Waye-Hive sent in a curling free-kick in a packed penalty area but goalkeeper Rose just managed to punch out the danger.

Del’Or should have given St Michel the lead in the 76th minute from an inch-perfect cross by Alex Nibourette but unmarked, the Malagasy midfielder headed over the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

It was all St Michel in this half and in the 81st minute, Nibourette’s free-kick dropped invitingly to substitute Wilnes Brutus at the near post but he miscued his header, thus fluffing a decent chance.

Anse Reunion’s only chance in this half came in the 87th minute from a quick counter-attack led by Hugo Sezou who ran at the St Michel defence before slipping a pass to substitute Nickero Marie who looked inches offside but was not flagged. However, the young Anse Reunion striker shot weakly at goalkeeper Melanie.

St Michel’s last chance to win this match came in the 89th minute when Anse Reunion goalkeeper Ricky Rose was penalised for stepping out of his box as he took a goal kick. Despite Anse Reunion’s claim of innocence to assistant referee Stephane Dugasse, referee Yocette awarded the free-kick on the penalty edge but Nibourette disappointingly blazed the ball over the crossbar as his team had to settle for a draw which was a credible result for Anse Reunion but not the desired result the defending champions had hoped for as they drew their third match this season.

Côte d’Or bounce back

Côte d’Or bounced back from their rare defeat the previous week to beat neighbours LightStars 5-2 in the Praslin derby at the Amitié Stadium.
Bernard St Ange set them on the way to a victory as he made it 1-0. Dine Suzette increased the score to 2-0 soon after before footballer of the year 2012, Malagasy Jean Tigana, stretched their lead to 3-0.

However, Bertrand Lablache, who scored a hat-trick against Anse Reunion, reduced the deficit for a 3-1 half-time score.

Malagasy Patrick Rasaminana restored Côte d’Or’s three-goal cushion from the penalty spot after they were awarded a penalty by referee Bernard Camille for a 4-1 score.
Once again LightStars, who gave a good account of themselves, reduced the score through Malagasy Haja to make it 4-2.

But Suzette completed his brace and rounded up the scoring for a 5-2 final score.

La Passe ease past St Roch

League leaders La Passe eased past St Roch with a comfortable 3-0 victory on La Digue on Saturday.
Rick Bibi opened the scoring after being set up by captain Achille Henriette for a 1-0 half-time lead.

La Passe added two more goals in the second period as former Quincy striker Alex Dugasse made it 2-0 and Collin Bibi added a third for a 3-0 triumph to keep their team on top of the league after five matches with 14 points – two ahead of second placed Côte d’Or.
The Lions hold St Louis Suns to a draw

Newly promoted The Lions held St Louis Suns to a goalless draw at Stad Linite on Friday.
It was a match that kicked off 20 minutes late as referee Kierens Yocette had to step in to officiate after the scheduled official was not present.

This was a match between two coaches who are best of friends, namely Gavin Jeanne (The Lions) and Michel Renaud (St Louis Suns) but on Friday, they tried to outwit each other.
Despite the lack of goals, these two teams cannot be reprimanded for a lack of effort with the first chance coming St Louis Suns’ way.

It all started from the impressive Nigel Freminot’s long pass to captain Mervin Mathiot who eluded Maurice Ahmed to feed the out-of-form Trevor Poiret but he failed to hit the target from a good scoring position.

Six minutes later, St Louis Suns had another decent chance as Elijah Tamboo dispossessed Jude Nancy to thread the ball to Fabien Cadeau, but The Lions goalkeeper Jerome Dingwall was quick off his line to produce a great block to deny Cadeau.

The Lions had two opportunities in quick succession in the 38th minute – first from Damien Maria’s poor clearance which Rachim Padayachy played to Yannick Charlette whose shot-on-the-turn flew agonisingly wide.

A minute later, St Louis Suns’ Jean-Paul Aglaé failed to cut a long pass which the Lions’ captain Randolph Lablache collected to cut inside but his shot lacked sting to trouble goalkeeper Joel Lesperance.

St Louis Suns replaced the disappointing Poiret on the hour mark to send on Roddy Melanie and he was soon in the thick of action as he played a brilliant back-heel to Cadeau as they combined to open up The Lions. Cadeau though should have squared to the unmarked Tamboo but he went for glory with his weaker right foot and fluffed a good chance.

St Louis Suns continued to press to break the deadlock and in the 69th minute, captain Mathiot’s teasing cross was pushed out by goalkeeper Dingwall as far as Melanie who blazed his shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

In the 77th minute, Melanie sent a corner into the box to the unmarked Tamboo who allowed the ball to skid off his forehead with the goal begging.

The Lions almost stole the lead in the 81st minute as Darrel Damoo collected a crossfield pass to pull it back to defender Ahmed Maurice whose snapshot forced a good save out of goalkeeper Lesperance.

On a quick break, Tamboo pounced on a long pass though he looked suspiciously offside which was not signaled, and his dipping shot was tipped over the crossbar by a vigilant goalkeeper Dingwall.
On the stroke of full-time, St Louis Suns had another gilt-edge chance as Melanie and Cadeau played a neat one-two and the latter’s cross was pushed out to the lurking Melanie. Once again Melanie rifled his shot over the crossbar as the two teams had to settle for a share of the points.

Credit goes to referee Yocette who did a good job as he handled the match with precision and displayed fairness all way round in a feisty encounter.

R. J-L.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *