Football: Barclays league division one-Côte d’Or regain top spot, La Passe win


On the same day on La Digue, La Passe returned to winning ways as they defeated St Louis Suns 2-0 and at Stad Linite, LightStars and St Francis drew 3-3. On Friday, Northern Dynamo and Anse Reunion also shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

Côte d’Or bring The Lions down to earth

Côte d’Or maintained their good home form as they brushed aside the challenge of The Lions who had surprised La Passe the weekend before.
The Praslin team brought The Lions down to earth as Renick Esther opened the scoring in the 23rd minute with a header.

Malagasy Patrick extended Côte d’Or’s lead with a long range strike in the 37th minute to make it 2-0 at half-time.
Renick Esther assured the points with his second goal in the 53rd minute as he latched onto Collin Esther’s through ball to score to make the final score 3-0.

La Passe bounce back

Title hopefuls La Passe bounced back against St Louis Suns to win 2-0 on La Digue on Saturday.

La Digue-based La Passe, who had lost to The Lions in their previous match, struggled to break down St Louis Suns in the first half.
However, Collin Bibi opened the scoring in the second period and Malagasy Fagnorena added a second for a 2-0 victory.

St Francis and LightStars enjoy six-goal thriller

The two bottom clubs, namely St Francis and LightStars shared out a 3-3 draw at Stad Linite on Saturday.

Praslin side LightStars though had to come from behind to secure a point as they remain in ninth position while their opponents lie at the bottom of the table.

St Francis should have gone ahead in this match as early as the third minute as Stephane Esparon broke clear but his attempted lob sailed over goalkeeper Romeo Barra.

Two minutes later, LightStars took the lead as Malagasy captain Mario Ravo pounced on a defensive error by Harry Libanotis to square a pass to Bertrand Lablache who shot past goalkeeper Ian Ah-Kong for a 1-0 lead.

In the 15th minute, St Francis drew level from Stephane Esparon’s corner which LightStars’ defence failed to clear and Malagasy Hery was on hand to drill the ball home for a 1-1 score.
A minute later, LightStars should have regained their advantage as Lablache combined with Malagasy Haja to set up captain Ravo but he fired wide a good chance.

St Francis also created some decent opportunities such as in the 22nd minute when Harry Libanotis played a glorious ball over the LightStars defence to Terry Larue who looked odds on to score but goalkeeper Romeo Barra rushed out and got a touch to deflect the ball into corner.

On the stroke of half-time, captain Ravo collected a long ball to twist and turn before rifling a shot at goalkeeper Ah-Kong who did well to block his shot.
St Francis took the lead in the 51st minute as Malagasy Branly Zizi latched onto a long ball to beat goalkeeper Romeo Barra to make it 2-1.

Four minutes later, St Francis stretched their advantage as Malagasy Hery broke forward to score his second goal for a 3-1 lead.
LightStars though fought back and were given a life-line when St Francis’ Mathias Confiance brought down Malagasy Ravo and referee Kierens Yocette pointed to the spot. Captain Ravo made no mistake from the penalty spot to reduce the arrears to 2-3.

The boys of coach Alisen Jean completed their comeback in the 90th minute as Kevin Prosper headed home Malagasy Haja’s cross for a 3-3 final result.

 Anse Reunion and Dynamo draw

Anse Reunion and Northern Dynamo shared a 1-1 draw at Stad Linite on Friday evening.

This was a highly entertaining encounter which Anse Reunion probably just edged but in the end had to be content with a share of the spoils.

Anse Reunion should have broken the deadlock as early as the third minute from Roderick Rose’s free-kick across Dynamo’s penalty area but Evans Elizabeth could not direct his diving header on target.

In the 12th minute, Anse Reunion’s Norvil Gaspard burst clear on the left but he shot disappointingly in the side-netting.

Three minutes later, Anse Reunion were unlucky not to go ahead when Julius Adrienne picked out captain Yelvanny Rose with an inch-perfect cross and the burly striker’s towering header looked destined to hit the net but goalkeeper Jules Monnaie produced a world-class save at point blank range to tip the ball over the crossbar.

Dynamo, who struggled to settle in the match, were almost gifted a chance in the 28th minute when Marcus Maria dispossessed Bernard Rose to hook a pass over a defender to the lurking Shane Elizabeth. Elizabeth though was crowded out as Anse Reunion snuffed out the danger.

Ten minutes later though Dynamo went ahead against the run of play as Maria picked up a long ball to leave defender Samuel Amice, deputising for Malagasy Eddy in central defence, in his wake.  The diminutive striker coolly slotted the ball past goalkeeper Jean-Paul Ah-Kong for a 1-0 lead at half-time.

The second half was really exciting with both teams going all out in attack which kept the crowd highly entertained.
In the 48th minute, Dynamo pounced on a lapse in concentration as Malagasy Asman Todisoa set up his captain Evans Télémaque but his shooting was wayward.

Just past the hour mark, Dynamo again capitalised on some clumsy defending by Anse Reunion and Maria fed substitute Steven Télémaque whose low shot came off the foot of the post as the La Digue team rode their luck.

In the 65th minute, Anse Reunion leveled matters with a stunning goal by Yelvanny Rose which is a contender for goal of the season. It all started from Gaspard linking up with Malagasy Hugo Sezou who rolled the ball into the path of captain Rose from 35 metres out and his thunderous shot crashed under the crossbar and over the line to make it 1-1.

Sezou should have tucked home a clear opening in the 72nd minute as he made the most of a defensive blunder by Dynamo but his control let him down to waste a glorious opportunity.

In the 88th minute, Malagasy Sezou had an even better chance as Gaspard collected a long ball to pick him out with his cross but once again goalkeeper Monnaie produced a top-drawer save from metres out to stop the Malagasy’s header.

A minute later, Adrienne combined with substitute Hubert Ernesta who released captain Rose who was in a good scoring position but he hurried his shot and blazed it wide as the match finished in 1-1 draw.

R. J-L.

Send your comment :

Name *

Email *

Comment *