Football: Barclays league division one-Côte d’Or cruise past Quincy


It was a game of two halves as Côte d’Or struggled to get their act together in the first period but were impressive in the second.

Quincy threatened as early as the ninth minute with Ted Bill playing a long ball which Côte d’Or’s Benoit Marie missed and it dropped invitingly to Alex Dugasse whose shot on the turn was too weak to trouble goalkeeper Kitson Cécile.

A minute later though, there was no denying Quincy. After some good approach work by Jerry Freminot who sent in a teasing cross, Dugasse nicked the ball at the near post to make it 1-0.

Quincy continued to dominate and in the 23rd minute Michel Joubert rifled a superb 30-metre volley which Cécile saved.

However, Quincy surprisingly made a substitution, pulling off Archille Henriette to bring on Michel Hertel in the 24th minute and this probably cost them a goal three minutes later.

It all started from a 27th minute long ball into the Quincy penalty area which Collin Esther flicked to unmarked Malagasy Nicholas Simouri who had all the time in the world to bury his shot past goalkeeper Trevor Bill and into the roof of the net for a 1-1 score.

Quincy will rue themselves for not regaining the lead on the stroke of half-time after Robin Joubert skipped a couple of tackles to chip a pass to Michel Joubert who should have centred to two of his colleagues. Michel Joubert instead attempted a diving header which was easily stopped by Cécile.

Côte d’Or though were a transformed team in the second period and in the opening minute Dine Suzette linked up with Malagasy Jean Tigana who laid the ball into Collin Esther’s path but he shot agonisingly wide. The same Esther again missed the target after being presented with an even better chance in the 48th minute.

He was pulled off five minutes later along with Simouri and on came Melvin Uranie and Malagasy Patrick Ramsamimanana.

Ramsamimanana gave his team the lead two minutes later with his first touch after Suzette had threaded a pass to him and he drilled the ball home to make it 2-1.

The goal spurred Côte d’Or and on the hour mark Suzette was guilty of a bad miss, blazing the ball over the crossbar from five metres out after Rick Bibi, Tigana and Uranie had combined to set him up.

Suzette though made amends three minutes later from an intelligent reverse pass by the impressive Tigana and he thumped the ball into the roof of the net for a 3-1 advantage.

Côte d’Or were now irrepressible and in the 71st minute, Bibi and Tigana played a neat one-two before the diminutive Tigana fired past Bill for a 4-1 scoreline.

In the 82nd minute, Suzette charged into the penalty box and went down from some crude challenge.

After an opponent had stamped on Suzette, referee Nelson Emile pointed to the penalty spot much to the disappointment of the Quincy players. Malagasy Tigana stepped up to slot the ball past Bill who was wrong-footed for a 5-1 scoreline.

In the 85th minute, Quincy came close to reducing the arrears as Dugasse created space for himself to shoot at goal but his effort came off the crossbar as Côte d’Or sailed to an easy win.

Côte d’Or coach Ahmed Abdou told Sports Nation he was happy with his team’s second half showing.

“We were too confident in the first half, but during half-time I reminded them of our game plan and it worked as we got a good result,” said coach Abdou whose team have moved into third position in the standings.

R. J-L.