Football: Airtel Cup-St Roch grab late equaliser, Lightstars shock La Passe, Côte D’Or and Quincy win


 Côte D’Or beat St Louis on Praslin and on Friday Quincy defeated St Francis.

St Roch draw against Anse Reunion

St Roch player celebrate their late equaliser against Anse Reunion

Anse Reunion were the much better side in the first half in this Pool B encounter and Norvil Gaspard gave his team the lead in the fourth minute to make it 1-0.

In the 17th minute, Anse Reunion should have doubled their advantage from Bernard Rose’s deep cross to Stenio Ernesta but the young striker’s header came off the post from close range with goalkeeper Julio Toulon well beaten.

In the 20th minute the La Digue side were again unlucky as Roderick Rose did well to elude his mark and his inch perfect cross fell to Gaspard who should have scored but his weak tap-in hit the foot of the post.

Anse Reunion were the dominant side with coach Juel Ah-Kong back with his former team after a short stint with bitter rivals La Passe.

Just past the half-hour mark, Yelvanny Rose beat the offside trap to bore on goal and he rounded goalkeeper Julio Toulon but amazingly flashed his shot across goal as he wasted a glorious chance.

St Roch’s only decent opportunity came in the 36th minute as Deven Belle glided into the penalty area and went down under Bernard Rose’s tackle.  But referee Jean-Claude Labrosse adjudged that the St Roch striker had dived and was booked for simulation.

Anse Reunion had chances to go further ahead and in the 38th minute; the impressive Malagasy Hassan Ali burst forward and his teasing cross fell to Stenio Ernesta who had the goal at his mercy but he headed wide from close range.

The second half was a different affair as St Roch tried to redress the balance and they showed more purpose while Anse Reunion tried to defend their lead.

In the 63rd minute, substitute Klaus Pragassen chased a long ball to square to Steven Telemaque.  Telemaque set up Nerick Athanase who shot narrowly wide from the penalty edge.

St Roch continued to pressure Anse Reunion but could not conjure a clean scoring opportunity and were almost punished on the stroke of full-time.

It all started from a glorious crossfield pass by Roderick Rose to Yelvanny Rose who was in acres of space.

Yelvanny Rose though took too long to adjust his shot and Malvin Pierre cleared the danger.
A minute later at the other end St Roch’s Malagasy defender Nestor Benahovy floated a long ball to Deven Belle who looked offside but was not signaled.  Belle’s attempted lob produced a great fingertip save by goalie Paul Ah-Kong to force a corner.

In the dying minutes though, St Roch grabbed a deserved equaliser from a free kick on the penalty edge.

Nestor Benahovy fired a strong shot which took a wicked deflection and wrong footed goalkeeper Paul Ah-Kong for a final 1-1 scoreline.

Quincy beat St Francis

Quincy returned to haunt St Francis with a 2-1 victory on Friday as the Airtel cup kicked off.
In the absence of coach Marc Mathiot, Bernard Dorasamy took over and St Francis should have gone ahead in the sixth minute from Stephane Esparon’s teasing cross to Evans Confiance but he headed wide with the goal at his mercy from close range.

In a swift counter Quincy’s Charles Clarisse almost lobbed goalkeeper Andrea Libanotis.

In the 15th minute Shariff Padayachy floated a free kick to Michel Joubert who headed wide.

Quincy had to make two substitutions as they brought on captain Georges Ravinia and minutes later had to replace striker Alex Dugasse who had suffered a cut above the eye.

It was a very physical match but Quincy, who had a depleted squad, still had the better chances and in the 44th minute, Archille Henriette shot wide from the penalty edge after Robin Joubert’s corner was cleared to him.

In injury time, St Francis had a half chance as Radley Monthy hassled for a bobbling ball but he shot narrowly wide.

In the second half, the match was more exciting and in the 56th minute, Esparon centred but goalie Trevor Bill spilled the shot to Radley Monthy, whose shot was well stopped by goalie Bill who redeemed himself.

On the hour mark, Quincy’s Charles Clarrise galloped forward to skip past Nicolas Atala but goalkeeper Libanotis raced out to clear the danger.

On a counter Radley Monthy burst forward to send an inch perfect cross to Ryan Antat but he failed to tap in from close range.

They were made to pay a minute later as Charles Clarisse pounced on a poor clearance and his dipping shot sailed over goalkeeper Libanotis to open the score at 1-0.

St Francis threatened to equalise in the 65th minute as Radley Monthy filtered a pass to Evans Confiance but goalie Bill was quick off his line to deny him.

In the 70th minute, Michel Joubert who looked suspiciously offside played a neat one-two with Robin Joubert to open St Francis’ defence but Michel Joubert shot wide when he should have scored.

In the 75th minute substitute Jerry Freminot, who again looked offside, raced through to round goalkeeper Libanotis and fire in an empty net for a 2-0 score.

St Francis had to react and in the 81st minute Radley Monthy fired a free kick which deflected off the wall and fell to Ryan Antat who made no mistake to cut the deficit to 1-2.

In the 85th minute, Antat should have leveled the score from Radley Monthy’s superb cross but he headed straight at goalie Bill from close range.

In injury time Quincy had two clear chances as Steven Domingue released Robin Joubert but he failed to lob goalie Libanotis.

Minutes later Jason Fred played a free kick to Michel Joubert who chest trapped but shot over as his team held on for another win over St Francis.

La Passe tumble against Lightstars

Lightstars registered their first win of the season against La Passe with a 2-1 victory on La Digue in a controversial match.

Bertrand Lablache gave the bottom club a 1-0 lead as La Passe had two goals disallowed by referee Emile Fred.

Footballer of the year Achille Henriette leveled matters for the La Digue side at 1-1 in the second half.

However Perry Nibourette saw his free kick deflect off defender Kenny Nibourette to make it 2-1 for Lightstars as they shocked La Passe.

Côte D’Or defeat St Louis Suns
Côte D’Or defeated St Louis Suns 2-0 at the Amitié Stadium with a brace from their Malagasy midfielder Jean Tigana.

Tigana scored from the penalty spot in the first half and added a second with a free kick in the second period for a 2-0 victory.