Football: Airtel Cup-St Michel, Côte D’Or and Anse Reunion win


St Michel defeat LightStars

These two teams had met on Praslin three weeks ago and had shared a five-goal thriller and it was to be a repeat result but not in terms of performance.  This was because both teams were either affected by injury, especially St Michel, while LightStars could not field their new Malagasy recruits namely Haja and Andria as the federation’s legal committee investigates recent ransfer transactions which appeared to have occurred illegally.

As for the match, St Michel had the upper hand as they went in search of an early goal to settle their nerves.

Midway in this half defender Gino Agathine galloped forward to link up with captain Don Anacoura and he flashed a cross to Nelson Laurence who blazed his shot over the cross bar.

A minute later in a mêlée in the LightStars’ penalty area, captain Anacoura set up Laurence once again but his shot was saved by goalie Basil Esther.

LightStars also had their moments and on the half hour mark, Bertrand Lablache saw his strong free kick deflected into corner.

In the 34th minute, Malagasy Mario Ravo burst forward to get the better of a defender with his speed but he could not direct his shot on target.

St Michel finally broke the deadlock in the 37th minute as Allen Larue released Henny Dufresne who centred to Wilnes Brutus who had an open goal to open the scoring at 1-0.

Four minutes later, LightStars should have drawn level as Ian Vel threaded a pass to Mario Ravo who rounded goalkeeper Gino Melanie, who brought him down for a penalty, but amazingly referee Jean-Claude Labrosse allowed play to go on.  This was a big let off for if he had awarded the infringement, he would definitely have had to expulse the St Michel custodian.

In the fourth minute of the second half, Ravo was at it again as he left defender Julio Denousse in his wake and outpaced Malagasy Jimmy Radafison but he blasted his shot in the side netting much to the relief of the St Michel camp.

In the 54th minute, Lablache latched onto a through ball but goalkeeper Melanie was quick off his line to block his progress.

St Michel extended their lead a minute later but it was clouded in controversy as Malagasy Jean Delor Tsaralaza showed great skill on the right but the ball appeared to have run out of play but assistant referee Darrel Monthy did not spot the infringement.  Delor therefore made the most of this error of judgement by the official to pull the ball back to Laurence who drilled his shot into the far corner to make it 2-0.

Three minutes later St Michel almost went further ahead as they pressured their opponent but Brutus’ toe poke was well stopped by goalie Basil Esther.

In the 65th minute, LightStars nearly cut the arrears as Mario Ravo fired at goalie Melanie who spilled the shot and Vel latched onto it but Julio Denousse blocked his shot and injured himself in the process.

In the 75th minute, St Michel produced a superb sweeping move as Brutus combined with Delor who picked out Marcus Labiche with his pass but the former La Passe player headed over the cross bar with the goal begging.

St Michel made it 3-0 in the 82nd minute from captain Anacoura’s corner to Laurence and in the impending mêlée, the ball broke to Brutus who easily scored.

Three minutes later, LightStars though reduced the scoreline as Kevin Prosper picked out Lablache with St Michel defender Jimmy Radafison failing to cut out the pass which set the LightStars player free to shoot past goalie Melanie for a 1-3 score.

In the second minute of added time, LightStars’ two substitutes namely Senky Vidot and Shanil Chang Time’s diving header was equally well saved by goalie Melanie.

LightStars did cut the deficit in the dying seconds from Ravo’s corner kick and substitute Fabien Albert headed powerfully past goalie Melanie for a 3-2 final scoreline.

It was St Michel’s second victory in Pool A while LightStars lost for the first time in this competition after two wins.

Côte D’Or thump St Roch

On Praslin the boys of coach Ahmed Abdou continued their impressive form as Malagasy Patrick Rasaminana opened the scoring with a free kick (1-0).

Former Lions striker Dine Suzette made it 2-0 at the break while their star midfield player maestro Jean Tigana added a third in the second period before substitute Nicolas Simouri sealed St Roch’s fate for a 4-0 drubbing.

Anse Reunion dump Dynamo

Anse Reunion recorded their first win in this Airtel competition as Northern Dynamo lost their first match.

Shaun Barbe gave the La Digue side a 1-0 lead but Dynamo’s Malagasy striker Asman Todisoa equalised before half time for a 1-1 score at the break.

Dynamo suffered a major setback when their defender Ronny Hoareau received his marching orders for two bookable offences.

Anse Reunion capitalised on their numerical advantage and scored the winner as Malagasy defender Eddie headed home a free kick past goalie Jules Monnaie for a 2-1 result.

Zialor hat-trick lead La Passe to victory

Barclays league leaders La Digue-based La Passe came from behind to crush Quincy 7-2 at Stad Linite in the Airtel cup on Friday afternoon.

La Passe had been going through a sticky patch recently as they had lost their last two home games.
However the boys of coach Bruno Saindini made a bright start and should have taken the lead as early as the second minute when the inspirational footballer of the year Achille Henriette played a pass to Joel Esther whose first time cross fell invitingly to Renick Esther who shot weakly at goalkeeper and captain Trevor Bill.

A minute later Quincy responded as Jerry Freminot controlled a long ball in the penalty area and his shot seemed to come off defender Tholix Jean but referee Egbert Havelock did not feel it warranted a penalty.

Ten minutes later, the same Freminot was on hand to drill home George Ravinia’s raking free kick as the La Passe defence remained static, allowing the midfielder to tap home from close range to make it 1-0.

In the 15th minute though Quincy gifted La Passe a soft equaliser as Steven Domingue played a back header to goalkeeper Trevor Bill who chest trapped the ball but then he committed a howler as he allowed Yves Zialor to pounce on the loose ball to shoot into an empty net for a 1-1 score.

Goalkeeper Trevor Bill did not have time to reflect on his horrific mistake when La Passe struck again as the irrepressible Achille Henriette darted forward to send an inch perfect Achille Henriette, scorer of La Passe's fifth goal against Quincycross to Zialor, whose glancing header found refuge in the net for a 2-1 scoreline.

This highly entertaining match saw Zialor miss two great opportunities in succession in the 20th minute after being set up by Achille Henriette.

Just past the half hour mark, Quincy was awarded a penalty after Charles De Clarisse picked out Freminot with a cross and he was brought down by two defenders.

Recently called up national team striker Alex Dugasse assumed responsibility for the spot kick but his shot grazed the cross bar with goalkeeper Vincent Euphrasie breathing a sigh of relief.

La Passe though were creating better chances and in the 37th minute Renick Esther brought a good save out of goalie Trevor Bill with a fierce low shot.  Geal Gesinghaus should have done better in the 41st minute with a free header from Malagasy Fredo’s free kick.

La Passe went further ahead on the stroke of half time as Zialor received a long ball from Malagasy Valerie who was playing in centre midfield with the return of colleague Tholix Jean in defence.

Zialor laid the ball to Renick Esther who rifled the ball past goalkeeper Bill for a 3-1 advantage at the break.

Zialor was unlucky not to complete his hattrick in the 50th minute from a curling free kick which rattled the post.

La Passe should have been awarded a clear penalty as Achille Henriette played a one two with Fredo who was brought down by a defender but referee Havelock turned a blind eye.

To add insult to injury, Quincy reduced the arrears a minute later at the other end as Alex Dugasse sneaked in behind La Passe’s defence to meet Robin Joubert’s deep cross after some superb work by the Quincy winger and Dugasse put the finishing touch for 2-3 score.

In the 62nd minute La Passe were denied a fourth as Gesinghaus threaded a pass to Renick Esther but a great tackle by goalkeeper Bill, who dived at his feet, denied the former LightStars striker.

La Passe raised the tempo as Quincy who had only one substitute began to run out of steam and in the 64th minute Henriette sent a teasing cross to Zialor who could not direct his shot on target with the goal at his mercy.

La Passe though were lucky not to be reduced to ten men in the 67th minute after Valerie appeared to have elbowed Robin Joubert but he only got a yellow card, much to the disappointment and anger of the Quincy camp.

How ironic was it six minutes later when Valerie stretched La Passe’s lead to 4-2 from substitute Andrew Jean’s curling corner and he guided his header into the net.

A minute later, La Passe extended their advantage as Verna Rose went galloping forward to fire at goalie Bill who blocked the shot with his legs but Henriette buried the loose ball into the roof of the net for a 5-2 score.

In the 76th minute, the impressive Henriette slipped a pass to Fredo who looked suspiciously offside as he bore on goal but face to face with goalie Bill he amazingly shot wide.

Qunicy, whose game had dropped, had a gilt edge opportunity in the 78th minute as Robin Joubert exchanged passes with Dugasse but the burly striker shot in the side netting in a good scoring position.

In the 80th minute, Zialor finally completed his hattrick from a short corner by Jean to Joel Esther, whose pinpoint cross was headed home by the dreadlock striker for a 6-2 scoreline.

Nine minutes later Valerie played a cross field pass to substitute Gary Radegonde but Quincy’s Archille Henriette handled the ball but referee Havelock was not convinced it deserved a penalty.

La Passe completed the rout in added time as Gary Radegonde linked up with Achille Henriette who released Jean, who thumped the ball past goalie Bill for a 7-2 final score as La Passe bounced back from defeat against LightStars two weeks ago at L’Union playing field on La Digue.