Football: Airtel Cup-St Michel lose unbeaten record


On La Digue La Passe inflicted a first defeat on St Michel this season while on Praslin, LightStars continued their revival.  On Friday, Northern Dynamo brushed aside St Roch.

St Louis Suns lose to Anse Reunion

Anse Reunion compounded St Louis Suns’ poor run in the Airtel cup with a 2-0 win.
Ironically St Louis Suns drew first blood as early as the ninth minute as Roddy Melanie ran at Anse Reunion before setting up Mervin Mathiot whose shot forced a good save out of goalkeeper Paul Ah-Kong.

Three minutes later, St Louis Suns’ Marlon Asba gave the ball away to Norvil Gaspard who centred to Nicolas Mussard but this shot sailed wide.

In the 15th minute, Anse Reunion threatened from Malagasy Hassan Ali’s corner which was met by Gaspard but his header was not on target.

Three minutes later St Louis Suns almost broke the deadlock as captain Trevor Poiret crossed to young striker Carlos Simeon whose near post shot flew narrowly wide.

Anse Reunion continued to press for an opener and midway in this half, Ali’s corner created havoc in the penalty area and Gaspard pounced on the loose ball to fire at goal which came off the cross bar before the danger was cleared.

In the 25th minute, Hubert Ernesta glided past two tackles to rifle at goalkeeper Elvis Leopold who made a good stop.

On the stroke of half time, Ali curled a free kick which goalkeeper Leopold misjudged but he must have breathed a sigh of relief as the ball went out of play for a corner.

Anse Reunion came back stronger for the second half and in the 47th minute, their new Malagasy recruit Hugo Sezou, who was making his debut, pounced on a filtered pass but went agonizingly close.

St Louis Suns will rue themselves for not taking the lead in the 56th minute as captain Poiret linked up with Melanie who flashed the ball across goal to Simeon but he failed to tuck it home when he should have scored.

In the 62nd minute, Anse Reunion’s endeavour paid dividends as Sezou latched onto a through ball to brush aside the marking of Jean-Paul Aglae to shoot past goalkeeper Leopold for a 1-0 lead.

Six minutes later Sezou should have been awarded a penalty as he was hacked down by Damien Maria but referee Jean-Claude Labrosse was not convinced to point to the spot.

In the 80th minute, Malagasy Eddy played a glorious long ball to Sezou whose cross-cum-shot crashed onto the cross bar.

In a swift counter,  St Louis Suns’ substitute Elijah Tamboo broke forward and his fierce shot was pushed into corner.

Sezou though was not to be denied his moment of glory as he added a second in the 83rd minute. 
It all started from Hubert Ernesta’s miscued shot which flew to Gaspard whose pinpoint cross was glanced past goalkeeper Leopold to make it 2-0 the final score.

This was St Louis Suns third defeat in this competition and a bad start for new head coach Michel Renaud in his first match in charge of St Louis Suns.

La Passe inflict first defeat on St Michel

On La Digue on Saturday, the two top teams in the country at the moment – La Passe and St Michel -- clashed in an eagerly anticipated encounter.

Wilnes Brutus (far right) and St Michel were held back by the La Passe defensive wall

St Michel were the much better side as they went close on numerous occasions and captain Don Anacoura was unlucky to see his shot come off the post as he picked up a ball from midfield to bore on goal.

La Passe though raised their game in the second half and former LightStars’ striker Renick Esther scored in the 64th minute to make it 1-0.

Esther was at it again minutes later as he struck his second of the afternoon for a 2-0 advantage for the Barclays league leaders.

Geal Gesinghaus scored past his own goalkeeper for a 1-2 score but La Passe held on to record a famous victory over their biggest rival which was much celebrated by their fans.

LightStars gun down St Francis

On Praslin, Lightstars gunned down struggling St Francis with a comfortable 2-0 win.
St Francis who have recruited three Malagasy players but did not field them as they are still sorting out their work permits, are yet to win in this group.

LightStars’ deadly striker Mario Ravo gave his team the lead in the first half.
Midway in the second half, Ravo was pulled down by goalkeeper Andrea Libanotis and referee Nelson Emile gave him his marching orders.

Young reserve goalkeeper Bertrand Morel was sent on but he could not stop Malagasy Haja from scoring his first goal for his new club for a final 2-0 scoreline.

Dynamo defeat St Roch

Northern Dynamo defeated St Roch 3-0 at Stad Linite on Friday evening in a Pool B match.
The Northern derby was an action-packed affair as both teams went all out for victory though Dynamo was the better side despite the absence of their two towering defenders namely Ronny Hoareau and Steve Henriette.

Ronny Marengo though was an able deputy and he marshaled the defence quite well, aided by Collin Tirant who is at the top of his game at the moment as he is letting his footballing ability do the talking.

Dynamo broke the deadlock in the 18th minute after a good move started by the impressive Francis Moumou who cut inside from the right to link up with his captain Evans Telemaque.  Telemaque played an intelligent flick in the path of Malagay Asman Todisoa who blasted the ball into the net for a brilliant goal to make it 1-0.

A minute later, Moumou picked out Todisoa with a superb cross but the Malagasy striker miscued with the goal at his mercy.

In the 27th minute, Dynamo almost gifted St Roch a goal from a poor clearance which fell to Klaus Pragassen whose fierce drive went narrowly wide.

A minute later at the other end, Steven Come galloped forward to centre to Marcus Maria who made a meal of a diving header with the goal begging.

Three minutes in the second period Maria again missed a sitter after captain Telemaque released Moumou whose teasing cross glanced off Maria’s head as he was badly positioned.

In the 51st minute, St Roch went close to level matters as they upped the tempo and Malagasy Nestor Benahovy surged into the opposite penalty area to force a ball to Pragassen but his goalbound shot was charged down.

The match was an end to end stuff but it was Dynamo who stretched their lead in the 74th minute as Moumou exploited space on the right and his strong shot took a wicked deflection to find refuge in the net past a hapless goalkeeper Julio Toulon for a 2-0 score.

In the 77th minute, captain Telemaque played a short corner to Maria whose near post shot was pushed out by goalie Toulon.

A minute later, St Roch’s main threat Steven Telemaque bore on goal as he cut inside but his low shot was saved by goalkeeper Jules Monnaie.

In the 88th minute, Dynamo captain was unlucky not to get his name on the score sheet as his curling free kick from the penalty edge came off St Roch’s cross bar.

On the stroke of full time, Dynamo were again denied by the woodwork as Maria and Todisoa combined to set up Moumou whose thumping shot ricocheted off the foot of the post.

Two minutes into injury time, Dynamo sealed off St Roch’s fate as Tirant threaded a pass to substitute Elvis Julius who sprung the St Roch’s offside trap. The former Red Star midfielder raced on goal to slip the ball under goalie Toulon’s desperate dive for a 3-0 score line.