Football: Land Marine-La Passe cruise into quarterfinal


Quincy, who had lost 0-10 in the Airtel Cup to the same La Digue side two months ago, were eager not to suffer the same fate.

However, La Passe were still the better side on a heavy pitch and in adverse weather with driving rain.

The Barclays league division one leaders took the lead in the ninth minute from an in-swinging corner by captain Achille Henriette which flew into the net helped by the strong wind (1-0).

Quincy goalkeeper Darren Barbé, who had a good game, had punched out captain Henriette’s first corner, but he could not stop the second from crashing into the net.

A minute later, former Quincy striker Alex Dugasse should have made it 2-0 as Geal Jessinghaus picked up a poor clearance to set him up but his control let him down with only goalie Barbé to beat.

Dugasse was denied by a good save from goalie Barbé in the 25th minute as he stopped a strong shot.

La Passe dominated proceedings but once again were wayward in front of goal as Quincy were happy just to limit the damage and try to hit them on the counter.

La Passe’s only other decent chance in this half came in the 39th minute as captain Henriette played a short corner to Malagasy Fredo whose fierce drive was just turned round the post by goalie Barbé.

The boys of coach Bruno Saindini nearly scored in the first minute of the second half as the hard-working Jessinghaus centred to Dugasse but he could not direct his header on target.

Three minutes later as La Passe swamped all over Quincy, captain Henriette crossed to Fredo whose thumping drive was blocked by goalkeeper Barbé.
Barbé again denied Malagasy Fredo in the 50th minute as he tipped over the Malagasy player’s strong strike.
La Passe’s pressure finally paid off in the 62nd minute as captain Henriette’s cross-cum-shot found its way in a crowded penalty area as his teammates missed the ball which wrong-footed goalkeeper Barbé to make it 2-0.
La Passe continued to push for another goal in a match which was well-handled by referee Alistair Barra, but striker Dugasse missed another clear chance in the 87th minute.

 Captain Henriette linked up with substitute Garry Radegonde who played a glorious pass to release Dugasse but he took too long to adjust his shot and defender Dave Malcouzane cleared the danger.

Quincy, who had found it difficult to create a decent opportunity, had two gilt-edge chances in the dying minutes.

On the stroke of full time, Jerry Freminot latched onto a long ball over the La Passe defence but his control let him down and goalkeeper Vincent Euphrasie was quick off his line to thwart the danger.

A minute later, Quincy’s captain James Bill tested Euphrasie with a low shot but he went down well to smother the ball.
La Passe wrapped up the scoring seconds later from Radegonde’s inch-perfect corner kick which was met by Malagasy substitute Valerie’s towering header which crashed into the net for a 3-0 final score.

In the quarterfinal, La Passe will now meet first division side LightStars – the only team to have beaten them in the league this season.

R. J-L.