Football: Barclays league division one-St Michel crush St Francis


St Michel players celebrate another big win

St Michel improved on their superior goal difference on closest rivals La Passe with two games remaining in the league.

St Francis had tried to frustrate St Michel in the first half as the Anse Aux Pins-based squad struggled to find their footing in front of goals.

St Michel enjoyed plenty of possession but struggled to break the deadlock such as in the 11th minute when Leeroy Corallie set up Gervais Waye-Hive whose cross-cum-shot fell to Malagasy Jean Del’Or but he shot wide.

St Michel’s captain Don Anacoura forced a good save out of goalkeeper Bertrand Morel in the 13th minute after Waye-Hive had played him through.

In the 16th minute, St Francis almost stole the lead as Trevor Vidot linked up with Malagasy Branli Zizi to feed Ryan Antat whose shot was blocked by goalkeeper Nelson Sopha.

St Francis goalkeeper Morel denied Alex Nibourette in the 19th minute after he had beaten the offside trap to latch onto captain Anacoura’s superb through ball.

Midway in this half, St Michel’s Allen Larue gave the ball away and Branli Zizi pounced on with a strong shot which was tipped over by goalkeeper Sopha.

In the 31st minute, St Michel were denied a clear penalty when St Francis’ defender Harry Libanotis handled in the box. Referee Emile Fred signaled for the infringement but awarded a free-kick outside the penalty area much to the anger of the St Michel camp.

St Michel’s goalkeeper Sopha almost gifted St Francis a goal in the 35th minute as he failed to hold on to Vidot’s free kick and Branli Zizi fired at goal from close range but his shot was deflected into corner.

A minute later, St Michel again were annoyed with referee Fred and his assistant James Emile, who was again poor on the line. The officials failed to award St Michel another blatant penalty after Waye-Hive was brought down by Evans Confiance in the penalty area but he awarded the mistake outside the box as he was yards away from the action.

St Michel, who had been wasteful in front of goal, finally broke the deadlock on the stroke of half-time. Captain Anacoura started the move as he threaded a pass to Nelson Laurence who drilled the ball past goalkeeper Morel to make it 1-0 at half-time much to the relief of the St Michel camp who was under some pressure.

St Michel made a master stroke substitution for the second half as Andy Mougal replaced Corallie and it proved inspirational.

St Michel nearly added a second goal in the opening minute as Nibourette broke clear to centre to Del’Or who failed to connect with the goal begging.

The league leaders then went on the rampage and in the 47th minute captain Anacoura played a low corner which Del’Or allowed to roll past him and the ball dropped to Nibourette whose right foot shot found refuge in the net for a 2-0 lead.

St Michel went further ahead in the 52nd minute as Mougal sprung the offside trap to skip past Libanotis to shoot at goalkeeper Morel but his shot was deflected to Del’Or who headed into an empty net for a 3-0 advantage.

St Michel were now ruthless and in the 54th minute Laurence released Del’Or who was hacked down by captain Ronny Monthy for a penalty but it was not given.

In the 55th minute, St Michel made it 4-0 as Nibourette picked out Del’Or with a cross for him to head home.

In the 61st minute, St Michel scored another goal as Julio Denousse played a throw-in to Mougal who produced a deft touch to glide past two defenders on the turn and he thumped home a brilliant shot to make it 5-0.

Del’Or failed to complete his hat-trick in the 63rd minute as St Francis were down to 10 men as captain Monthy was out injured. It all came from Waye-Hive’s free-kick which goalkeeper Morel spilled to Del’Or but the goalkeeper redeemed himself to block his shot.

In the 79th minute, St Michel countered swiftly as Laurence released Waye-Hive whose cross-cum-shot sailed over goalkeeper Morel for a 6-0 score.

St Francis should have cut the deficit in the 81st minute as Malagasy Hery Randriamanana linked up with Ryan Antat to open up St Michel’s defence but goalkeeper Sopha blocked his shot.

In the 84th minute, St Michel’s substitute Darwin Rosette bore on goal from Del’Or’s pass to rifle at goalkeeper Morel who blocked his shot. Mougal picked up the loose ball to cross to Waye-Hive who headed into the net for a 7-0 score.

A minute later, Waye-Hive returned the favour as St Michel countered and the former Red Star midfielder laid the ball on a plate to Mougal who shot past goalkeeper Morel for an 8-0 lead.

St Francis reduced the arrears in the 87th minute as Malagasy Hery made the most of Malagasy Jimmy Radafison’s mistake from substitute Radley Monthy’s pass. Hery held off the challenge of Denousse to slot the ball past goalkeeper Sopha for a 1-8 score.

Malagasy Hery scored a second a minute later as he latched onto Radley Monthy’s through ball to shoot past goalkeeper Sopha for a final 2-8 scoreline.

R. J-L.