Le Méridien hotels jointly host charity dinner


The event, held under an Indian night theme, was hosted by Le Méridien Fisherman’s Cove and Le Méridien Barbarons hotels, which are part of the Starwood hotels and resorts group.

Prior to the dinner, those who had come for the event enjoyed their welcoming drinks while listening to soft Indian music and interacting with each other.

A variety of top-class Indian dishes were set for the buffet and those who were there to support the cause had the chance to taste some of the delicious Indian sweets for desserts.
The fundraising event, which is an annual one, is the third to be organised locally.

Le Méridien Fisherman’s Cove has been partnering with the Diplomatic Spouse Association (DSA) to host the charity dinner annually.

Proceeds from this event will be divided between the Unicef and the DSA, which is greatly involved with charity work relating to children.

The project has not yet been announced by the association, but 40% of the proceeds will go to the DSA. The remaining 60% will be used to build schools in Nigeria and Cameroon.

Le Méridien Fisherman’s Cove general manager Mathieu de Tonnac said this year the ‘Road to Awareness’ project is all about giving proper education to the children of Nigeria and Cameroon.

“We have selected some cities in those two countries and the idea is to build schools, refurbish some schools and buy educational materials for the children so that they can have proper education,” he said.

Each year Starwood’s ‘Road to Awareness’ campaign raises money for a different area of Unicef’s work.
In 2012, a total of R219,000 was raised and 40% of this sum was handed over to the DSA.

As part of the fundraising an auction sale and raffle were held that evening.

Those at the dinner included members of the DSA and the general manager of the Le Méridien Barbarons Imran Azhar.