Football: Airtel Cup-The Lions down Côte d’Or, St Louis Suns win, St Michel draw


On Friday St Michel could only manage a 1-1 draw against La Digue-based Anse Reunion.

The Lions - Côte d’Or

Defending Airtel Cup holders Côte d’Or were in buoyant mood as they faced The Lions who were without coach Gavin Jeanne who is on an overseas mission with the under-17 national team in Mauritius.
Therefore, former Seychelles Football Federation (SFF) chairman Joel Decommarmond was the acting coach as he got his team to frustrate Côte d’Or who were the better side as they were still buzzing after their win over St Michel the previous weekend.

In the 16th minute, Collin Esther went mighty close after some good approach play by the players of coach Ahmed Abdou but his shot came off the post.

In the 25th minute, footballer of the year, Malagasy Jean Tigana, fired a free-kick at goalkeeper Jerome Dingwall who he pushed the ball out as far as Dine Suzette whose shot produced a good save out of The Lions’ goalkeeper.

Two minutes later, Suzette broke down on the right to centre to Malagasy Patrick Rasaminana but he failed to connect from a good scoring position.
In the 35th minute, The Lions, who were under a lot of pressure, had a decent chance as Denis Auguste latched onto a through-ball but goalkeeper Kitson Cecile was quick off his line to clear the danger.

Côte d’Or nearly broke the deadlock in the 38th minute from Tigana’s corner which was punched out to Bernard St Ange whose fierce drive grazed the outside of the post.

Côte d’Or continued to dominate proceedings in the second half and in the 52nd minute Suzette’s close range header was deflected into Collin Esther’s path but he shot the loose ball wide.
The Lions had another great chance on the hour mark as new recruit Leeroy Mathiot broke clear but he shot in the side-netting with the goal at this mercy.

In the 82nd minute, Malagasy Patrick played a neat one-two with Suzette to curve open The Lions’ defence but goalkeeper Dingwall rushed out to charge down his shot.
As the minutes ticked away, Côte d’Or pushed men forward and in the 89th minute goalkeeper Dingwall again denied his former teammate Suzette.

The Lions though hit Côte d’Or with a killer blow in the dying seconds of this match as captain Randolph Lablache collected a long ball and he looked suspiciously offside but assistant referee Darnsley Télémaque did not raise his flag. Captain Lablache bore on goal and was brought down by goalkeeper Cecile.

Referee Alistair Barra had no hesitation but to show the Côte d’Or goalkeeper a straight red card as well as awarding a penalty to The Lions.
As Côte d’Or had already made three substitutions, they had to put Francis Louise in goal to face the penalty from Rachim Padayachy who blasted the ball past him for a 1-0 lead.
Côte d’Or did not have time to react as the final whistle blew after they kicked off as The Lions celebrated wildly while the Praslin side were furious with the officials.

LightStars - St Louis Suns

St Louis Suns registered an important win on Praslin against 10-man LightStars after Bertrand Lablache was sent off in the 58th minute by referee Kierens Yocette as he thought he should have been awarded a penalty.
St Louis Suns had taken the lead through a header by Steve Henriette in the ninth minute.
LightStars though leveled matters in the 32nd minute through a penalty taken by Andrew Jean.
St Louis Suns retook the lead on the stroke of half-time and it was an own goal accredited to Mervin Jeannevol for a 2-1 victory.

St Michel - Anse Reunion

St Michel and Anse Reunion shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw on Friday at Stad Linite.
Anse Reunion started brightly and in the 13th minute Yelvanny Rose tested reserve goalkeeper Madrid Adrienne with a superb volley but he was equal to the task.
Two minutes later, Nickerro Marie broke through to shoot at goalkeeper Adrienne who parried the ball but it trickled over the goal-line for a 1-0 lead.

St Michel responded as Alex Nibourette went on a mazy run from his own half before laying the ball off to Nigel Hoareau but he shot weakly at goalkeeper Jean-Paul Ah-Kong.
Midway in this half, Anse Reunion nearly stretched their lead as Roderick Rose rifled at goalkeeper Adrienne who turned the ball into corner.

On the half hour mark, former Anse Reunion midfielder, Malagasy Hassan Aly, centred and goalkeeper Ah-Kong missed the ball but Hoareau did not make the most of the opportunity.

St Michel put Anse Reunion under a lot of pressure and they reaped the reward in the 44th minute from Patrick Bonne’s cross which was met by captain Don Anacoura’s header which was parried by goalkeeper Ah-Kong. But Nibourette was on hand to bury the loose ball to make it 1-1 at half-time.

St Michel were still the dominant side in the second period and in the 59th minute captain Anacoura picked out Gervais Waye-Hive with his cross but he failed to convert.
Two minutes later, Aly let fly a 35-metre free-kick which goalkeeper Ah-Kong just managed to tip over.

In the 61st minute Nibourette beat Anse Reunion’s offside trap to loft a pass to Hoareau who was clean through but he somehow shot in the side-netting.

Two minutes later at the other end, Roderick Rose sent in an inch-perfect cross to Malagasy Gilles Rapiera but with the goal begging, he headed over.

St Michel were denied a clear penalty in the 74th minute as Malagasy Eddy handled substitute Darwin Rosette’s cross but referee Nelson Emile allowed play to go on.

Anse Reunion though were reduced to 10 men in the 88th minute as Rapiera was shown his second yellow card of the match for some niggling fouls and he had to leave the field.
However, the La Digue side held on for a share of the points.

St Michel manager Andrew Jean-Louis told Sports Nation his team lacked a lethal striker with both Jean Del’Or Tsaralaza and Leeroy Corallie out injured as they gave some of their youngsters some playing time.

R. J-L.