Follow us on:

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube


Football: Transitional league division one |08 June 2019

Foresters sneak past Au Cap


Mont Fleuri-based Foresters sneaked past Au Cap in a 1-0 victory at Stad Linite on Thursday afternoon in a first division Transitional league match.

Foresters almost made a sensational start to this encounter in the opening minute when Kenner Nourrice collected Collin Francourt’s pass but he fired his shot from the edge of the penalty area over the crossbar.

In the 15th minute, Foresters had an even better chance from Brandon Molle’s curling free kick into the Au Cap penalty area and Vanerick Michel rose unchallenged but somehow he headed wide with the goal at his mercy.

Foresters defender Michel nearly gave away a goal to Au Cap two minutes later when his back pass was latched on to by the lurking Sean Romain but the Au Cap midfielder headed straight into the palms of goalkeeper Raphael Moustache.

A minute later, Martin William was running onto goal after Nourrice had released him but was brought down by Au Cap defender Norris Monthy who was booked by referee Emile Fred who had a decent game on Thursday.

However, Foresters rode their luck in the 20th minute when they lost the ball and Au Cap broke forward and caught them short at the back in a two-on-one situation at the back and Au Cap’s Oliver Camille unselfishly squared the ball to Marcus Louys who looked odds on to score but his low shot saw goalkeeper Moustache make a great block with his outstretched leg to keep the score goalless.

Foresters also went agonisingly close in the 32nd minute when Ryan Henriette sprinted clear from William’s superb through ball and he was face to face with Au Cap’s Cameroonian goalkeeper Frank Moutoni who blocked his initial shot but amazingly Henriette blasted the rebound over the bar when it looked easier to plant it into the net as the first half remained at 0-0.

Foresters had to make a substitution in the opening minute of the second half when William went down with a knee injury but they should have broken the deadlock two minutes later as Nourrice collected a long ball but placed the ball just wide of the far post under pressure from Au Cap captain Julio Denis.

Au Cap though were the better side in this half and Marlon Sinon’s low near post shot in the 54th minute forced goalkeeper Moustache to turn the ball into corner as Foresters looked out of sorts.

In the 78th minute, Dean Balette picked out substitute Wallus Mondon with his low free kick and the young striker turned smartly on the edge of the penalty area but he failed to stab the ball into the net as his shot rose over the crossbar.

Foresters settled this match in the 81st minute from Tanzanian midfielder Hussein Bakary’s through ball to Henriette and he laid the ball to substitute Francis Nourrice who coolly slotted the ball past goalkeeper Moutoni to make it 1-0 the final score.

Nevertheless, Foresters coach Harold Hoareau told Sports NATION he was disappointed that his players did not perform to the expected level.

“We seem to drop our level when we play low lying teams but raise our game when we meet top sides and today, I’m very disappointed with the individual as well as team performance as we did not put into practice our game plan and the only positive thing from this encounter is that we won,” Foresters coach Hoareau related to Sports NATION.

As for Au Cap coach Roger Labonté whose team are winless in this preparatory competition, he said he felt his team showed improvement especially in the second half.

“We showed an improved performance in the second half but we need to be more clinical in front of goal but we must also train more as a team as we lack consistency in training,” claimed the Au Cap coach.


R. J-L.



More news